Unique-but-abandoned Mac-only product, developed by Bill Atkinson (following an LSD trip). Could be a HyperText engine (Beyond Cyberpunk), could be a (mainly single-user) data-backed GUI CardDeck-based development environment. Launched 1987.
Goals/design, from interview linked above
- help people from different areas (physicists, musicians) communicate with each other
- through an interactive medium
- so it was effectively a software construction kit
Why was it killed? (from same interview)
- meta: note that iBooks-Author is kinda its descendant
- Apple was having financial troubles, had to kill some projects
- HyperCard "had some of that Sculley stink on it" (from Jobs' perspective)
- Apple was afraid of pissing off indie developers with people building their own apps
Dan Shafer wrote some books about it.