(2003-08-28) Meadows Systems Interventions
Fresh links lately to Donella Meadows' identification of places to intervene in a Complex System. We know from bitter experience that when we do discover the system's Leverage points, hardly anybody will believe us.
In increasing order of effectiveness:
- 9. Constants, parameters, numbers (subsidies, taxes, standards).
- 8. Regulating negative feedback loops.
- 7. Driving positive feedback loops.
- 6. Material flows and nodes of material intersection.
- 5. Information flows.
- 4. The rules of the system (incentives, punishments, constraints). (GameRule)
- 3. The distribution of power over the rules of the system.
- 2. The goals of the system.
- 1. The mindset or paradigm out of which the system — its goals, power structure, rules, its culture — arises.
Edited: | Tweet this!