Places To Intervene In A System
cf Complex System?
Here, in the light of a cooler dawn, is a revised list: (in increasing order of effectiveness)
- 12. Constants, parameters, numbers (such as subsidies, taxes, standards).
- 11. The sizes of buffers and other stabilizing stocks, relative to their flows.
- 10. The structure of material stocks and flows (such as transport networks, population age structures).
- 9. The lengths of delays, relative to the rate of system change.
- 8. The strength of negative feedback loops, relative to the impacts they are trying to correct against.
- 7. The gain around driving positive feedback loops.
- 6. The structure of information flows (who does and does not have access to information).
- 5. The rules of the system (such as incentives, punishments, constraints). (game-rule)
- 4. The power to add, change, evolve, or self-organize system structure.
- 3. The goals of the system.
- 2. The mindset or paradigm out of which the system — its goals, structure, rules, delays, parameters — arises. (culture)
- 1. The power to transcend paradigms.