an Under The Radar operation, typically within a BigCo (or BigGov) that avoids the surrounding bureaucracy and Process Management (Best Practices) and accomplishes big things. A Creative Network? Definitely D And D.
famous example: LockheedSkunkWorks - build major aircraft like the SR71 Black Bird spy plane
- list of books http://www.dropbears.com/b/broughsbooks/aviation/skunk_works.htm
- Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed by Ben Rich ISBN:0316743003
- More Than My Share of It All by Kelly Johnson ISBN:0874744911
- they actually have a TradeMark on the name!
- Kelly Johnson's rules: 1. The Skunk Works manager must be delegated practically complete control of his program in all aspects. He should report to a division president or higher.
- Mantra: Be quick, be quiet, and be on time!
- some good references to it in Bruce Sterling's Zenith Angle.
they originated the KISS concept
popularized by Tom Peters http://www.theworkingmanager.com/articles/detail.asp?ArticleNo=217
Skunkworks as Distributed Networks http://www.netage.com/Learning/Publications/Seybold/Seybold3_8-89%20.html
Edited: | Tweet this! | Search Twitter for discussion