Fediverse is a portmanteau of "federation" and "universe". It is a common, informal name for a somewhat broad federation of social network servers whose main purpose is microblogging, the sharing of short, public messages. By running social network software that supports a standard set of protocols called ActivityPub, independently run servers can connect to the Fediverse, allowing its users to follow and receive short messages from each other, regardless of which particular ActivityPub server implementation they are running. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fediverse See esp Mastodon. See related IndieWeb.
Dec'2022: Where might this go?
- For comparison, Twitter usage is currently 217M DAU (est 495M MAU). Mastodon usage is ~2.5M MAU (per (2022-12-08) Mastodon Growth Numbers Might Not Mean What You Think They Mean Absolutely Maybe).
- Mastodon isn't the only system in the Fediverse: (2022-11-02) Axbom The Many Branches Of The Fediverse
- every flavor of the Fediverse will involve multiple servers (with varying features) and multiple client apps (with varying features), and multiple add-on tools/servers like info sites, onboarding guides, search engines, etc
- this creates multiple possible "targets" for a group of dissatisfied users are with common needs
- There will probably be a roughly PowerLaw curve of app size, server size, and client-app (adoption) size.
- Despite open protocols, Apple (iPhone iCloud) and gmail dominate email-hosting.
- Some servers will be run as commercial enterprises.
- Some commercial servers will aim to be just-sustainable Indie biz (cf MetaFilter - 6k MAU?)
- Some servers will hope to become a BigCo.
- Some servers will be run as hobbies, like old BBS systems. They may have some way to at least cover their hard-expenses, but will probably generate no significant income for the operator.
- InfoWorld estimated that there were 60,000 BBSes serving 17 million users in the United States alone in 1994.
- Some servers will be explicitly/legally structured as CoOps.
- Many non-big servers will churn, like indie restaurants.
- Hobby/indie servers will probably max out at ~1k DAU (2.5k MAU) (source?) based on moderation hassles. You'd need 200k such servers to match Twitter usage.
- if you care, export your archive and post it on your own server: PESOS.
Edited: | Tweet this! | Search Twitter for discussion