possible revenue streams
competitors (for traffic and revenue), or data source?
- Craigs List
- City Search
- Technorati http://www.technorati.com/posts/tag/eastvillage , Del.icio.us http://del.icio.us/tag/EastVillage
- Newspaper Publishing crowd if they get their act together 2006-10-29-CurleyHyperLocalNews
- should they partner with others already getting geo data?
- meta: how much of most people's writing is location-focused? Does that matter? Yes probably.
- if you know general/static Zip Code for a writer, then you might be able to scrape content and look up capitalized phrases against a directory of Places (YellowPages?)...
- maybe tie to events, scrape Calendar sites?
notes from Oct'2006
Steven Johnson has just launched OutsideIn, a GeoTag-based aggregator. Everything seems to point to stuff elsewhere, with apparently no commentary, just first-snippets. Some of the content seems to be auto-scraped, others submitted/tagged by humans.
I think a service like this will eventually need:
- a way to filter ('or' query) on various tags defining your areas of interest
- filter based on weights of interest and near-ness (we're not only interested in the HyperLocal)
- maybe add a Social Network Context.