(2013-10-18) Chicago Ideas Week Tech Summit
Speakers (with some brief/random notes)
- big companies need Chief Startup Officer to anchor ecosystem of startups (joint partnerships before investments) http://www.forbes.com/sites/groupthink/2013/07/16/its-time-for-chief-startup-officers/
- new book out Creative Confidence
- importance of Empathy, Humanity
- "wrap data in a story" (and a ProtoType helps)
- high-stakes Story Telling; Choice Architecture - Change The World
- using microscope/project to show in real-time the bugs in water makes discussion about need to switch to better water (even if not-free) more effective
- had to throw out entire code-base (Microsoft) and start over
- had to adapt to Mobile trend while in the middle of that rebuild
- brands want to use Music to connect to people
- artists want direct fan data (cf Author Platform)
- question: how big can these systems scale before becoming grey-goo?
- how will 3D printing (Desktop Fab) affect these markets?
- when family moved to Chicago, they had no money, but managed to pull together pieces to make a (crummy) PC because this was Max's passion.
- new thing - Affirm credit network - use Social Media data as more info than FICA score?
- Women-only Social Network (enforced by FaceBook-connect) - more safe, so more honest
- start with college women, talking about guys in their network - Yelp for Sex.
- moving into discussions about Beauty Product-s (ahem Advertising)
- diabetes/hypertension - behavior-change compliance - esp big problem with Low Income patients
- but these people do have Cell Phone, and use SMS
- she doesn't code (grrr), she's a lawyer; was asst Public Advocate in NYC
- 20 girls in summer-2012, 152 in summer-2013
- goal: GirlScouts of the 21st Century; reach 1M girls by 2020
- importance of "cool" validation - girls want to be doctors/CSI because of TV shows (hmm, what % of such people will actually become doctors?)
Sallie Krawcheck, Business Leader, 85 Broads
Mark Wilson, Senior Writer, Fast Company; Host, Tech Summit
Edited: | Tweet this!