(2018-11-15) Books Vs Tweets
Visakan Veerasamy had some interesting tweets: it’s possible to take a long/extended view such that the bites (Twitter nuggets) constitute a much bigger web of threads. The platform definitely isn’t optimized for this but it’s very possible... How do you read books other than one word at a time? I think the difference is that books are discrete linear packages, while the web is continuous & omni-directional. Focus is a function of frame; books are pre-framed; operating in the web necessitates holding your own frame... Been reflecting on this for some time, this idea that the web destroys people’s ability to focus on something like reading a book. Sometimes I suspect people have it sort of backwards. Focusing on a single self-contained experience to me is sometimes kind of like eating baby food.. As I get older and my mind-palace gets larger and more comprehensive (with other people’s ideas) I get less & less casually-randomly interested in books written by other people. I am currently most intrigued by the books that exist only in my imagination; that’s my primary focus... I change frames a LOT – but because I keep track of a lot of them (my various twitter threads, for example), I can always go back and pick up where I left of, and over time this builds an immense, intricate extended-mind-palace. (Hypertext)
- Aug'2019 Patrick O'Shaughnessy wrote: I just don’t think the book is the right format for most interesting modern writing. For stories (fiction or non-fiction), the book remains the perfect format. But for most non-fiction ideas, the blog post and the podcast now seem far superior, with very few exceptions.
- Twitter/Mastodon/IndieWeb client for juggling tweets in a way that makes them easier to re-assemble?
- Ebook as Structured Writing where you can collapse/browse: HyperBook, Wiki Ebook
- Tweetstorm as CardDeck. Maybe the primary tappable essay is the tweetstorm.
- Twitter as Second Brain, Twitter as Memex
- I Write Only The Highlights
- IndieWebReader, Universal Toolbox
- Version Control (forking): 1, 2
- mirroring/copying/moving nodes between PrivateWiki and WikiLog
- Webs Of Thinkers And Thoughts, WikiWebDialogue
- 3D Virtual ThinkingSpace
- add short video per node as HyperMedia: 2009-07-03-RaoRhetoricHyperlink
Edited: | Tweet this!