comments in programming Source Code (both for reading within the programming editor, and for extraction into a pretty browser)
writing notes in a non-"standard" environment (e.g. on a PDA)
also see Textwiki translator code - does it work? http://ciaweb.net/free/textwiki.php
in some contexts this wouldn't make sense (e.g. in programming Source Code)
in some environments it might not be available (e.g. on a PDA).
for public/risky sites taking user text, avoids SecurIty risks around XSS, plus avoids ugliness from users not closing tags properly. (Note that some SmartAscii variants allow HTML to be included, which destroys this benefit.)
Some areas to compare:
- tags for inline styles (e.g. bold, italic)
- can you nest them (have an italic sentence with a bold word in the middle)?
- bullet points, ordered lists, etc.
image URLs turned into 'img' tags?
- support for tables? (for tabular data, not fancy layout)
- escaping style tags
also allow HTML in the document? Mix within the same line?
what about HTML form tags?
things can get extra messy when you want to render WikiWord cases within such a document.
Aug'2007: considering choice to use with RoBaccia
currently using PikiPiki, not fan of the lots-of-single-quotes model
- annoyed by italics getting broken by pasted-in non-low-ascii chars (like curly quotes) - but that may be code issue, not spec issue
- don't like single-quote breaking italics, since pasted-in text often uses them
- don't like single-square-brackets having meaning, since they are often used as normal punctuation
Wiki Creole: not supported much yet
TextIle: poor performance
MarkDown: blech I hate the syntax